Tuesday 29 November 2011

House of Trembling Madness

So, there is a shop in York on Stonegate, the delightful establishment is called the House of Trembling Madness (colloquial for Delerium Tremens). I was in York with my dad as one of his collegues was having a leaving do. After introducing my father and a few of his friends to the wonder which is the York Tap, I met one of my good friends who just so happens to study at the University of York. Also a beer fan. After a couple of halves, one being a surprisingly spicy chilli porter, my father and his friends departed and me and my mate got a taxi with a jolly Irishmen who also enjoyed the odd pint here and there.

We arrived at Stonegate (Shambley) and went down the street, many quaint little shops, including one which just sold swords. We arrived at the shop/bar/restaurant and was greeted by beer walls, so much beer the walls were just shelves of bottles. Bottles from all over the world, some predictable some oddities (oddities tending to be expensive). Before buying a grand amount of booze, we went up for some dinner in their restauranty bit where there was also a fine bar. This building dates back to 1180 and the beams were from Norman ships, the place was magical. There were taxidermied heads that a Victorian chap with a huge moustache probably got from the colonies on the wall. Me and my friend sat in a boothy area surrounded by beams and behind us, was Barry, the boar. The food was great, has goose, duck, venison and cured ham with bread and a forest of salad. All washed down with a beer, lovely jubbly. We were joined by chance by my mate's friend from uni who's mum happens to own Marble Brewery in Manchester. After the feast we went back down to the shop. I bought a boat load of beer from the fantastic selection, Marble beer included. I also discovered that Mikeller beer is insanely expensive, but Delerium Noel is actually reasonable. Hmmm.

So then back to the Tap, we reviewed our purchases, marvelling at the shape of the Viru bottle (which I bought for the bottle not the bog standard lager within) with more beer, faux-loyalty to Marble at this time despite the chap leaving before we finished dinner, had a Draft No5 which is low in alcohol but very hoppy, IPA like. Lovely. Super place.

No comments:

Post a Comment